Tezpur is located in the state of Assam one of the states of the North East. Tezpur is famous for its university viz. Tezpur University. It is an Indian Central University. Currently, the Governor of Assam, Janaki Ballabh Patnaik is the Chancellor of Tezpur University, Mihir Kanti Chaudhuri is the Vice-Chancellor and Amarjyoti Choudhury is the Pro Vice-Chancellor.
Not much is given about Tezpur as a place. But a lot is given about the University. The establishment of the Tezpur University is considered to be one of the outcomes of the Assam Accord along with the establishment of the Assam University and Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati.
Tezpur University was established by an Act of Parliament in 1994 by the then Prime Minister of India, P. V. Narasimha Rao, who chaired the opening of the University. Initially, the University operated from the premises of the Darrang College, in Tezpur. Land was acquired at Napaam, a suburb of Tezpur, about 15 kilometers east, of 242 acres (0.98 square kilo-meters), and the premises shifted.
The present day Tezpur University stands upon the land donated by Kalaguru Comrade Bishnuprasad Rava (Rabha) who dedicated his entire life for the freedom movement. He donated an ancestral estate of 2500 bigha land received from the British government in favour of the peasants. His slogan was "Haal Jaar Maati Taar" means "those who cultivate should own the land". His entire life was characterized by a restlessness to work for the people and he kept on moving around like a nomad. He was also an excellent mass mobiliser.
The objectives of the University are:
• It shall strive to offer employment oriented and inter-disciplinary courses, mostly, at postgraduate level to meet local, regional aspirations and development needs of the State of Assam
• It shall offer courses and promote research in areas which are of special relevance to the region and in emerging areas in science and technology
• It shall promote national integration and study of rich cultural heritage of the region and, in particular, the diverse ethnic, linguistic and tribal cultures of the State
• It shall utilize "distance education techniques" to provide access to higher education for large segments of the population, the disadvantaged groups living in remote and rural areas
• It shall upgrade the professional knowledge and skills of in service personnel for life-long learning.
The University campus at Napaam is about 15 km. east of Tezpur, the headquarters of the Sonitpur district of Assam. Napaam is a rural area surrounded by peace loving people of diverse caste, religion and language; yet it presents the unique feature of unity in diversity. Napaam is linked by a PWD road from the National Highway No. 37A at almost midpoint between Kalia-Bhomora bridge and Misson Chariali. Tezpur is linked by road and rail with the rest of the state and the country. There is also a tri-weekly flight service between Kolkata and Tezpur. The institute is surrounded by greenery and with many historic as well as tourist places nearby, including Ganesh Ghat, Agnigarh etc.
The major annual events of the university are:
• Techxetra: The university's national-level annual technical festival held over three days in October.
• Vistas: National media fest organised by the department of Mass Communication and Journalism in the spring semester.
• Sampark: An industry interaction festival organised by the department of Business Administration
Visitors to the university may opt to stay in the guest house. Students may choose to stay in any of the men's or women's hostels.
The university has five men's hostels (listed in order of construction)
I decided to leave the content portion open for the templates users to do as they wish with a blank canvas. I don't like to restrict my users too much, and for this reason I leave the defining of any content related styles to you.
• Brahmaputa Men's Hostel: Named after Brahmaputra, the major river in Assam.
• Charaideo Men's Hostel: Named after the first Ahom capital in Assam.
• Nilachal Men's Hostel: Named after the Nilachal Hill in Guwahati
• Kanchenjungha Men's Hostel: Named after Kangchenjunga, the third highest mountain in the world (after Mount Everest and K2).
• Patkai Men's Hostel: Named after the Patkai-Bum, the Khasi-Jaintia-Garo and the Lushai hills mountain range in the eastern Himalayas.
and five women's hostels:
• Bordoichilla Women's Hostel
• Dhansiri Women's Hostel
• Pragjyotika Women's Hostel
• Subansiri Women's Hostel
• Kopili Women's Hostel
There is also a married-scholars hostel.
Tezpur University is the first university in India to offer the course Master of Technology in Computational Seismology and also one of the few universities in India to have its own Department of Energy. The Department of Electronics at Tezpur University is the first of its kind in India to introduce an interdisciplinary Master of Technology program in Bioelectronics. The first class graduated in June 2006. The university offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs in following academic divisions:
• School of Science & Technology
• School of Humanities & Social Sciences
• School of Management Sciences
• School of Engineering
School of Science & Technology
This school provides education as well as various diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programmes related to natural sciences in following subjects:
• Department of Chemical Sciences - The department specialises in Green Chemistry
• Department of Mathematical Sciences - The department offers Integrated Masters ,Masters and Ph.D in Mathematics and M.Tech in Computational Seismology.
• Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology - The Department was set up in 1997 to impart quality education in the frontiers of Bioscience and Biotechnology. The Department is currently ranked number 5 in India.
• Department of Physics - Department of Physics has stridden out not only in its post-graduation teaching but also in new frontiers of research since its commencement in January 1998.
• Department of Environmental Science - This was merged into the School of Science and Technology in 2011.
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
This school provides education as well as diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programmes related to arts and social sciences in following departments:
• Department of English and Foreign Languages
• Department of Cultural Studies
• Department of Mass Communication and Journalism - The Department of Mass Communication and Journalism has separate classrooms and labs for specialization and electives.
• Department of Sociology - The department was established in 2006. It introduced the two-year M.A programme in August that year with an intake capacity of 15. It has also introduced doctoral programme from January 2008.
School of Management Science
This school provides education as well as various diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programs related to business management in following Departments:
• Department of Business Administration
• Centre for Disaster Management
School of Engineering
This school offers regular courses in the field of engineering and technology. Though, it has been started with only Masters courses, but from 2006 onwards it provides 4 years Bachelor degree (B.Tech) courses in the following disciplines:
• Civil Engineering
• Computer Science and Engineering
• Electronics and Communication Engineering
• Food Engineering and Technology
• Mechanical Engineering
Students are admitted to the B.Tech programs of the above mentioned departments on the basis of their AIEEE scores through CCB counseling.
Besides B.Tech and M.Tech programs, School of Engineering, Tezpur University provides Ph.D programs in specialized fields in the above mentioned branches. This school is also known for its cutting edge research in various disciplines along with some consultancy projects from many governmental and non governmental organizations.
For more detail Click Here